under construction, yo! Greenbeans and Moneytrees: Irrational Fear of Bugs.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Irrational Fear of Bugs.

On Monday afternoon, I made the trek down to Culver, Indiana to start my fabulous Communications Internship at Culver Academies.  I moved into my new abode, a "rustic" cabin that usually sleeps 12 youngsters during the summer camps.  Good news:  I have the cabin to myself.  Bad news:  No air conditioning, a mile and a half from work (my boss brought me a bicycle luckily), super dark at night, and a million bugs constantly swarming.  Even though I've been careful not to open any windows with holes in the screen and am super quick to shut the doors when I go in and out, some bugs have made their way in and haunt me while I try to sleep.  Through this experience, I have re-discovered my irrational fear of bugs.  It started as an irrational fear of spiders after watching an episode of Xena:  Warrior Princess where a half-woman-half-spider ate a bunch of people (I was about 6 and still have nightmares).  Now, every time I think about a spider it sends shivers down my spine and gives me the heeby jeebies.  I'm convinced that any bug, of any size, is either going to eat me alive or plant eggs in my brains.  Therefore, the woods is not a great place to reside.  It's also not great when it's 96degrees, no air conditioning, and one fan.  But, I am only in this cabin for two weeks, until I move closer to work into a dorm, hopefully with air conditioning.  Unfortunately, there I will have a roommate.  I'll have to make the best of it.  Until then, I consider this a "spa vacation" and getting back to nature.  Psht.  One thing is for sure, this is nothing like my friends paying $$$$$$$$ for a closet-sized apartment in New York shared with 6 other girls.  Below are some pictures of my new home.










This is the view from my room/balcony:


No comments:

Post a Comment