under construction, yo! Greenbeans and Moneytrees: Tutorial: Sweet Tea

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Tutorial: Sweet Tea

It’s no secret I’m addicted to caffeine.  If you catch me before my morning tea, I sincerely apologize.  Throughout the day I try to keep well hydrated, with almost exclusively caffeinated beverages.  Usually it is Diet Coke, but in the summer, I like to switch it up and go with Sweet Tea.  Maybe it’s my unexplainly hidden roots of Southern class, or maybe just because I love all things summer, especially a refreshing glass of iced cold sweet tea.  Maybe it’s because sweet tea is just so freaking easy to make.  When I’m at home, I make sun tea every morning and by the afternoon it’s ready to be poured over a glass of ice.  Since I’m living in a dorm this summer, I can’t leave a pitcher out to percolate all day, so I just boil the water instead of setting it in the sun.  All you need is a pitcher, four tea bags, and 3 tablespoons of sugar.  You can use fancy shmancy tea, but I’m a poor college kid and find that Wal-Mart brand tea is just as good as anything.



Boil water in a pot or electric kettle (I do about 1.75 L)

Pour 3 tablespoons of sugar into the pitcher (I find this is the right measurement for sweet but not too sweet)

Tie 4 tea bags together

Once the water is finished boiling, pour in a quarter of the water and mix until all the sugar is dissolved

Insert tea bags and pour the rest of the water into the pitcher

Secure the top and let cool in the refridgerater overnight

It should be ready in a couple of hours, especially if you’re pouring it over ice, but I make mine at night and drink the tea throughout the day.


This is an easy way to maximize summer enjoyment with minimum calories. J

No comments:

Post a Comment