under construction, yo! Greenbeans and Moneytrees: Pokagon State Park

Friday, August 26, 2011

Pokagon State Park

On Tuesday, my father and I set off on an adventure.  We try to make a special daddy-daughter bonding trip every time I come home and this time we went to the Potawatomi Inn at Pokagon State Park in Angola, Indiana.  My father went to Pokagon every summer growing up to go camping and as my sisters and I grew up we joined the tradition in returning to the park (although we traded tents for cabins and a lodge).  Pokagon sits on three lakes and has a variety of swimming/boating/hiking activities in the summer and tobogganing in the winter.  This trip my dad and I discovered a new restaurant that serves up home cooking and "fried biscuts" that are the closest thing to beignets since Cafe du Monde in New Orleans.

We took a night hike where we made some new friends.




The next morning I had a throwback to 7yearsold and went to the Arts and Crafts room and painted a ceramic turtle to join my sisters' chipmunk and ladybug in our indoor garden at home (of course it was complete with hot pink feet, tiffany blue nail polish, and glitter).  After craft time, I headed over to the stables and went horseback riding and the trail was absolutely beautiful.


When I was finished, my dad met me at the stables and we went for a picnic and then sticking our feet in the lake.  As Wednesday afternoon waned, we headed homeward, first stopping at a local outdoor mall and doing a bit of shopping.  New yoga pants, 3 new shirts, 2 pairs of jeans, a leopard print belt, comfy flats, and a sweatshirt cardigan that screams New England are the new additions to my wardrobe arsenal.  Now I just have to figure out how I am getting all of this back to school in two suitcases!

I had so much fun spending time with my dad.  It was a really great way to finish off the summer.  Now I am only a few days away from trudging through Hurricane Irene and beginning my junior year at Babson College!

Remember to subscribe to my lovely blog, and twitter, and tumblr xoxo, mfh

No comments:

Post a Comment