under construction, yo! Greenbeans and Moneytrees: No Poo Challenge: Month 3

Monday, August 15, 2011

No Poo Challenge: Month 3

I have spent my entire life, hating my hair.  I have thick, curly mousy brown hair and I have spent most of my life trying to change it.  I have been dying my hair since 7th grade and straightening to death every day for years.  This summer, I took a risk at letting nature work itself out and not washing my hair.  Now, it has been three months since using shampoo and I could not be happier.  My curls are actual...curls!  They are perfect ringlets.  They are bouncy and voluminous and beautiful.My hair is not greasy at all.  Not the slightest bit.

Unfortunately, there are a few downsides.  I am still shedding like crazy.  I don't know if this is more or less than normal with shampoo or what.  Maybe it's all the dead hair finally leaving my scalp to make room for all the non-damaged hair in result of going no poo.  Also, I have noticed that my hair actually got too dry and lacked moisture and grease.  So I bought some sulfate-free conditioner (note to self:  Suave shampoos and conditioners do not contain sulfates) and have been using that.  Now, my routine consists of using my baking soda mixture once a week or once every other week and using conditioner about every other day.

My hair is soft and supple and has beautiful curls days after getting it wet.  I absolutely ADORE my no poo routine.  It has significantly cut down on my shower and primping time and has given me great results.  This may possibly have partly to do with spending my summer on a lake and being in the water every single day and air-drying my hair in the wind off boats.  I am curious to see how my hair adjusts once I go back to Boston and am no longer rinsing my hair in the mineral-rich lake and have the winter havoc left on my hair.

Remember to subscribe to my lovely blog, and twitter, and tumblr xoxo, mfh

No comments:

Post a Comment